Monday, December 7, 2020

Personal Influence - X-Men Cartoon

 


One of the biggest parts of my childhood was the 90's X-Men cartoon.  I was not a morning person, but I would wake up early on Saturday mornings to watch X-Men.  It came on at 6:30 and 10:30.  I watched both episodes.




The idea of mutants intrigued me.  I always liked magic and fantasy, but I was told at church that those were things of the devil.  The X-Men weren't magic.  They were mutants.  Nature or God made them that way.  I felt like I could cheat the system.  I also felt different like the mutants.  Unfortunately, I didn't have powers (of course, I figured out later that I liked boys).  I could really relate to the feelings of being an outsider.  Now that I'm older, I can relate to some of the situations the mutants find themselves in.  They have to deal with hate groups and discrimination.

My cousins and I played X-Men a lot.  I think my cousin Jill felt a lot like I did.  My family still calls her the black sheep; mainly because she's agnostic.  She would always be Rogue.  I was Jubilee or Gambit.  We always made Chris (Jill's little brother) play with us.  He enjoyed it, but I don't think it did the same thing for him as it did for us.  We could express ourselves when we played X-Men, and if anyone asked, we were just playing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Japan in America: What are some of the most influential Japanese exports in America?

1. Hello Kitty When I first started giving this some thought, I wanted to see what I could think of on my own before doing any research.  He...