I was just a child. Mom, Alli, and I had been somewhere. When we got home, Dad was in my room. I faintly heard the song to the Mario Bros game. My dad had cashed in all the coins from my piggy bank (which was actually made from 4" PVC pipe) and gotten what I'd been begging for: an NES. I could tell that Dad didn't really want to stop playing, but he did. I was in heaven.
Once the SNES came out, I saved up birthday and Christmas money and with a church lady using her Walmart employee discount, I got one.
I took my NES to Nanny's house and set it up. It provided hours of entertainment for me, my sister, and our cousins. We played that thing until my cousin Andrew used it for a soccer ball--he kicked it across the room. It broke. It was already on its last leg. I can't remember why he kicked it. It's still something that comes up in conversation today. All of these things of pop culture have something in common: they had a huge effect on me and my family. It's not something I really thought about until this assignment.

No comments:
Post a Comment