Monday, December 7, 2020

Personal Influence - Titanic



It's funny when I think that this movie had some influence in my life.  It did, though.  Everyone was talking about this movie, even in DeWitt.  Some of the more well-off families went to Little Rock to see it when it came out.  The parents even let their kids watch it because it was said to be so big; history in the making.  DeWitt actually had a movie theater at the time.  It only had one screen.  I'm not sure how long after the premier date that our little theater got it.  I wasn't very aware of my surroundings at thirteen.  I wasn't up on current events or pop culture.  I was probably too worried about who I was and how to fix myself to pay attention to anything else.  One wrong move and the fact that I liked penises would have been discovered.  I really just remember it being a big discussion between my mom and dad on whether me and my sister should see the movie.  They finally decided that we would all go to see it.  The little theater was packed.  I remember Mom and Dad sitting near the back while my sister went to sit with some of her friends and I sat down amongst some boys in my grade.  I don't remember much about seeing the movie that first time in the theater.  What I do remember is when the boobs were shown, all the boys around me were in fits of hormones and boners.  I didn't get it.  I couldn't have.  Anyway, after the movie we hung around to visit with some people.  I remember my dad asking if I had covered my eyes during "that part."  I said, "No, but I wish I had."  I don't remember my dad's reaction.  I don't remember who it was, but one of the men that we were visiting with gave me a scathing look.  I had accidentally shown part of my true self without realizing it.  I freaked out for weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Japan in America: What are some of the most influential Japanese exports in America?

1. Hello Kitty When I first started giving this some thought, I wanted to see what I could think of on my own before doing any research.  He...